Planned Maintenance (Planned Preventive Maintenance) is any variety of scheduled maintenance to an object or item of equipment. Specifically, planned maintenance is a scheduled service visit carried out by a competent and suitable agent, to ensure that an item of equipment is operating correctly and to therefore avoid any unscheduled breakdown and downtime.
The key benefit of planned maintenance is that the work can be scheduled in ways such that it does not interfere with overall production. This may mean scheduling planned maintenance during times of the year when there is less demand, or doing maintenance at night when most of the facility is not operating.
Looking for help with reactive maintenance?
OTHER ADVANTAGES OF PLANNED
- Reduces unplanned equipment downtime and improves overall equipment performance.
- Repair costs are reduced because problems are fixed while they are minor.
- More efficient use of manpower and other resources because maintenance work, parts inventory, tools and financial costs, can be spread more evenly throughout the year.
- Better planning of spare parts use and ordering.
- Helping to ensure the manufacturer’s requirements for warranty compliance are met.
- Reducing overall maintenance costs.